3 Easy & Eggs-cellent Breakfast RecipesBy Katrina Scott on
You know that having a healthy, nutrient-packed breakfast is SO important to set you up for your day! When you have a balanced brekkie with a combination of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs, you’ll feel more energized, satisfied, and you’ll avoid blood sugar spikes and crashes.
For us, it’s so important to have some easy, go-to recipes in the rotation so we don’t have to overthink it first thing in the morning. Some of our favorites are egg muffins (prep ‘em on Sundays and have all week) and scrambles (just toss everything together and you’re done!). Plus, eggs are amazing because they’re packed with satiating protein and choline, an essential nutrient for our brain health and metabolism that we don’t often get enough of.
Check out three of our go-to egg recipes ~ try one for brunch this weekend!
Makes 1 serving
1 Tbsp. onion, diced
1 tsp. avocado oil
1 cup spinach
3 egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ tsp. rosemary, thyme, or basil
1 slice 100% whole wheat pita bread or Ezekiel toast
1 Tbsp. hummus
2 Tbsp. diced tomatoes
DIRECTIONS1. In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onions in avocado oil until translucent. Add spinach and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add eggs and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, rosemary, thyme, or basil.
3. While eggs are cooking, heat/toast pita bread. Spread hummus on the toast and top with eggs, tomatoes, and avocado.
Lean, Clean, ‘N Green Frittata
Makes 8 servings
2 cups diced mushrooms
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup plain greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
Garnishes: fresh herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro)
Optional toppings: dollop of greek yogurt or salsa
DIRECTIONS1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pan over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms in olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the spinach and peas and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and yogurt together.
5. Pour the veggies and egg mixture into an oven-safe pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
6. Add toppings and garnishes if desired.
Zucchini & Caramelized Onion Egg Muffins
Makes 6 muffins (serving size 2 muffins)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 zucchini, diced
¼ cup yellow onion, diced
Pinch of salt
Dash of garlic powder
3 egg whites (or ½ cup liquid egg whites)
Coconut oil spray
DIRECTIONS1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté zucchini and onions for about 8 minutes. Season with salt and garlic powder.
3. Spray muffin tins with coconut oil spray.
4. Combine eggs and egg whites in a bowl and whisk.
5. Scoop the veggie mixture into the muffin tins so that veggies are spread evenly. Pour egg mixture over veggies into muffin tins.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Store in a meal prep container after the eggs have cooled. These are good for up to 4 days!